Monday, January 18, 2010

Perspective

Two weeks ago today the most pressing thing on my mind was what to do with my crazy, overgrown HAIR!! Y'all knew I wouldn't make it very long without bringing it up.;) I couldn't wait to post a few hairstyles and get everyone's vote on their favorite.

So, when my dad called that Monday afternoon to say he had taken my mom to the ER with a "bad headache", I decided to throw my overpriced Hairstyles of the Stars magazine into my bag (along with a few other "essentials") because who has time to waste during those eternal wait times in the ER?!

Once I arrived and discovered my mom was serious enough to bypass the FOUR hour wait I thought I might not need my magazine after all. And then when I heard the word "brain aneurysm" it was as if the world came to a screeching halt in that instant. Up to this point I'd never heard an aneurysm story that ended well. I'm not even sure what I want to say about all of that but I will say that 5 days in ICU with my mom, 6 more in a closely monitored room, the untimely death of a close friend of my sister's, the possibility of my dad receiving lungs from that same friend AND my sister in law's father passing away has a way of changing one's perspective.

I'm not even sure all that has had time to sink in yet. But there are a few things I DO know:

I'm thankful my mom is alive and has her spunk in tact!

The power of prayer is so very real.

I'm amazed at how God orchestrates every single detail of life to care for His own.

He truly is the GOOD Shepherd...even in circumstances that aren't "good".

His presence is so very real.

Every day of our lives is written before one came to be...we will not live one more or one less than He intends.

Each of those days He HAS given us should be celebrated and lived to the fullest.

I believe even more that God is God and He controls it ALL, even when I THINK I am in control, it's just an illusion. I couldn't be more relieved.

I'm blown away by the love and support of fellow believers and feel so loved by HIM through those people.

Incredibly thankful for a family who loves each other and works WITH each other.

Amazed to look back over the years and see all that He has done to keep this family in tact...makes me appreciate the previous thought even more.

I believe in miracles.

And I'm not as young as I used to be!!! :) Pulling all nighters, eating junk when I was able to eat at all, driving back and forth at all hours of the day and night, and drinking endless amounts of coffee and Diet Dr. Pepper to keep my eyelids open does not fare well with this body anymore! ;) I think I need a week at the spa to recover...do you think I can convince my husband?!

So, I do not know when I will get to the point that my hair doesn't seem so trivial anymore but I can guarantee, you all will be the first to know! :)

3 comments:

  1. Kristin told me about your mother! I am so glad it was caught. I am praying for you and your family. Love you!

    ReplyDelete