Thursday, March 24, 2011

Remembering


My sister and her husband have the privilege of raising four children...four lively red heads to be exact! :) But today I was reminded that they should be raising five. 17 years ago today my sister gave birth to their first child, a son...a redhead. We had waited in long anticipation for his arrival. He left the world more quickly than we would have liked, on the same day he entered it. I remember that day so vividly. There was great sadness and grief but what struck me more was the odd peace and strength mingled in with the grief. That peace and strength held our family up that day. God's presence was undeniable. It surroundesd us in the hospital room in a way I hadn't experienced before nor have I experienced since. Because it was March the Dogwoods were in full bloom. My mom planted one in her yard to remember him. This morning I called my sister to let her know I was thinking about him. We laughed about the fact that he'd be driving and graduating high school next year and that there is NO WAY we are old enough to have kids that OLD!! :) And then I went on about my day. This afternoon as I was playing baseball in the front yard with my own son something caught my eye. Our Dogwood tree was full of beautiful white blooms. I hadn't noticed before today. I thought about the appropriateness of that. It took me away for a few minutes just thinking about him and remembering his sweet face. I let myself go there. Because I know tomorrow will be another day and I will go on with life as usual. But for today, I let myself remember.

2 comments: